Friday, April 18, 2014

Review of the Forum Computer Lab at LBCC



Often times, it is easy to overlook some of the less visible services available to LBCC students. Let’s face it, without a bright neon light most things go unnoticed around here.


One thing that went unnoticed for me was the Forum Computer Lab; that was until I desperately tried to complete a battery of projects for a computer science class, and with a broken laptop, I was up a creek without a paddle. 

A fellow classmate gifted me with a bit of invaluable information, as he happened to notice me pacing a hole through the carpeting, waiting for a library computer to free up. That afternoon I had been watching “that guy” finish completing his RPG third level dragon master certification. I practically pulled my hair out while coming to my wit’s end.

My classmate informed me that there is, in fact, a room full of computers complete with a knowledgeable staff capable of answering every single question I might be able to dream up about computers, computer programs, homework assignments, or how the galaxy came to be. Well that last one is not really their department. The point is that I wasn't on my own when I needed help with my computer questions.

" fall term my USB was corrupted due to manufacture error and Lance (One of the lab assistants)b spent a week recovering as much of my USB as he could and saved me from loosing all of my homework." 

Heather Obrien is a Web/Database technology student here at LBCC. she spend a lot of her time here on campus working in the Forum computer lab. She explained to me that the Forum computer lab offers a quite,respectful working environment.    

Ryan Sapp is an AAOT Student at LBCC and he said, “It is a great place to study because there is always a computer open if you need one”

 Tucked away… almost hiding… the Forum Computer Lab is located on the second floor in the oval-shaped section of our school called the Forum Building. Between the Learning Center and the South Santiam building, room F204 is a place where computer magic knows no bounds.

 The Forum Building is more notably home to The Commuter, the Student Leadership Council, and the Hotshot Café. There, on the left side of the second level corridor, like the back ally door of some hotel, is the entrance to the computer lab.

 Drop off your drink by the door and sign in to the computer with your student X number. Sound like any other computer room around campus so far? Don’t worry the Drink Depot and the actual computers are the only similarities to be encountered.

 Leighana Coe, the Forum Computer Lab manager,  said, "the forum lab has actually been part of this school for quite some time." At one point, she was a computer lab aide while attending college herself. In 2008, she was approached by the school about the job and in June of that year took the position.

 “I hear from a lot of students that they didn’t know we were here! I really wish this would be pointed out in Destination Graduation or orientation; especially since we ARE the main computer lab!”

 If you find yourself in the situation where you need a computer or need questions answered regarding computer issues, head over to the Forum Computer Lab. There you will be able to complete your assignments, be it for a computer science class or a communication paper that you can’t seem to get the margins right on.  The Forum Computer Lab is for all LBCC students; get in there and get your learn on!

At a glance :

What : Review of the forum computer lab at Linn-Benton Community College.
Contact: Leighana Coe
Did you know: The forum Computer Lab is open Monday-Thursday 8am to 9pm, Fridays 8am to 9pm from noon until 5pm on Saturday and Sunday. 





No comments:

Post a Comment